Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Kaydence's Upholstered Bench


This was really a labour of love. I was so excited to be working on Kaydence's bench. It was a Christmas present and I was dying to share it with everyone but had to wait. This is the simple bench by Ana White with a slight alteration. I acutally made the bench 1/3 of the orginal lenght to fit between Kaydence's bed and dresser.

To learn how to upholster a bench I went on-line and found a few people who had tutorials on how to do this. At the blog Pretty Hand Girl you can find a step by step process. I followed this one closely.

This is a picture of the next to final stage where I covered all the foam with an old T-shirt. I cut off the sleeves and neck part and voila a perfect fit. After pulling everything tightishly and stapling it to the bench; I added the pretty fabric (a thick cotton table cloth on sale for $5) and finished it off with pretty black furniture tacks.

The next time I do a project though I will be looking for furniture trim on a roll. Haven't found it in a local store but I know it's out there. This picture is again from Pretty Hand Girl on a chair project that she did. That will be so much easier and probably a whole lot straighter too.


(photo courtesy of Pretty Handy Girl)

With the finished, individual, trim tacks the project looked like this.


Thanks for stoppping by and checking out my lovely upholstered bench.
It gave me great joy to
make it,
give it
and then share it with you all.

Have any great projects of your own to share? I'd love to see them.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Job & beautiful Marlene!
    - Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job, Marlene! It must feel SO satisfying to create things that are not only beautiful, but also useful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaydence is so blessed to have such a beautiful gift made with love!

    ReplyDelete